Diverse PLN Benefits

Having a diverse Personal Learning Network (PLN) improves learning and personal/professional growth as individuals are exposed to multiple perspectives, including varying levels of expertise, instead of just one. This encourages individuals to form their own viewpoints on presented topics, rather than being influenced by a single perspective. A diverse PLN will also give individuals a sense of community where they feel supported. For instance, when I share content on my social media platforms, whether that be Instagram or TikTok, I always feel supported as my followers engage with the content!

Creating an Inclusive PLN

As with just about anything, it is important that PLNs are inclusive! Take a look at the following for specific steps you can take to ensure your PLN includes various voices and perspectives:

1. Follow diverse peoples and communities
    • Follow individuals from different backgrounds, cultures, and fields of work. This will help to attract more diverse people for your PLN. If you want diverse people to join your community, you must set an example and follow diverse people yourself.
  2. Collaborate with different colleagues
    • Work on projects with different people. Do not only collaborate with the same two people, or you will never hear new voices and perspectives.
  3. Give all your followers the same opportunities
    • Give all members of your PLN the same opportunity. It is important that you are checking your biases regularly and not excluding or treating anyone differently.

Social Media Dynamics  

Different social media platforms have unique features and cultures which have an effect on how people interact. Instagram allows you to engage on a deeper level, as you can share pictures, videos, and links. There is also no character limit like there is on Twitter. Twitter can be seen as a distributive platform, while Instagram is more like a journal (MILLER, 2021).

“Instagram is like a journal”

Shelly moore
Here is a screenshot of what my Instagram page looks like.

I strongly agree that Instagram is like a journal. It is often used by individuals to post life updates and pictures. In other words, individuals are creating pages that reflect who they are, just like as journals do. I know my Instagram page strongly reflects me and my values, as you can find pictures of me doing things I like, like hiking, and pictures of me with the people I love, like my family, dog, and friends. Because of this, people can connect on a deeper level. Instagram allows others to see you in a more vulnerable light. TikTok is also very similar. I would even say it promotes deeper connections as individuals tend to post more vulnerable content through videos.

“The Social Dilemma,” a documentary that Shelly Moore mentions further explains how different social media platforms are designed and manipulate users.

Here is the trailer for the documentary. I recommend checking it out. I watched the documentary and agree with Moore that it makes you rethink the purpose of social media and how you use it. It goes into how different platforms manipulate users, which is kinda scary.

Challenges of Inclusivity in Digital Spaces

In making my PLN inclusive, I anticipate several challenges. Firstly, something I have already had difficulty with through working with others on online platforms is time zones. Being in different time zones makes real-time interactions very difficult. Asynchronous communication methods, where communication does not occur in real-time, such as sending text messages back and forth, however, can help as it allows for flexible participation. Next, accessibility may be an issue. Not everyone is able to access the same content, however, tools like text-to-speech and captions can help with this. Lastly, strong differing opinions could be a difficulty. Some people may be hesitant to hear the other person out, which could result in arguments. Different cultures often see things differently and it can be difficult to compromise or end on a happy medium. Hearing the other person out and learning about other cultures can help when it comes to differing views. It is also important to approach interactions with respect and kindness.

MILLER. (2021, May 30). EDCI 338 – 20 Minutes Moore. Retrieved July 28, 2024, from YouTube website: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeSV0rUl1bA